Here are the mystery contest questions and answers. The first five people to answer these questions correctly won a $10 Starbucks gift-card, no strings attached:
1. Please share a scripture that actually depicts the concept of zombies. That’s right, I said it zombies. Did you know the concept although twisted and distorted, in modern day movies and media came from the Bible? Now find it!
Answer:”This will be the plague the Lord strikes all people with who warred against Jerusalem: their flesh shall rot while they are still on their feet; their eyes shall rot in their sockets, and their tongues shall rot in their mouths.” (Zechariah 14:12)
There are also other references to zombie-like concepts in the Bible as illustrated below: (These references are from the 2016 KJV Bible online).
- Thy dead [men] shall live, [together with] my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew [is as] the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead.(Isaiah 26:19-20)
- But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This [is] the first resurrection. (Rev. 20:5)
- And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose…(Matt. 27:51-53)
- And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.(Rev. 9:6)
- So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone.(Ezekiel 37:7-10)
- Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed... (1 Cor. 15:51-53)
- And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame [and] everlasting contempt.(Daniel 12:2)
- Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.(Romans 6:4)
- And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed... (Luke 2:1-52)
- Howl ye; for the day of the LORD [is] at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty...(Isaiah 13:6-9)
- Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice…(John 5:28-29)
- And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and [I saw] the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received [his] mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (Rev. 20:4-6)
2. What was the name of the man in the Bible who called a bear attack on some children who were teasing him about his baldness?
(Answer) Elisha Mocked
Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!" When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number
(2 Kings 2:23-25)
3. What did queen Esther do before going to meet with the king after she was married to him?
Answer: Esther completed a year of intensive spa-like beauty treatments prior to getting married to the king. However, after marrying the king when she discovered that the Jews were set to be destroyed, she asked the Jews to fast for 3 days while she and her maidens or attendants did the same.
Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, 16 “Go, assemble all the Jews who are found in Susa, and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maidens also will fast in the same way. And thus I will go in to the king, which is not according to the law; and if I perish, I perish.” So Mordecai went away and did just as Esther had commanded him (Esther 4:5-17).
4. How many brothers and sisters did David have?
Answer: There appears to be debate about the amount of siblings that David had because in 1 Samuel he is referred to as the eighth son of Jesse his father. However, later on in the Bible, he is described as being the seventh son of Jesse his father. If you believe in the inerrancy, of scripture or that the Bible is without error. Therefore, it is safe to say that one of David’s brothers died. David also had two sisters. The correct answer would be 7 brothers and 2 sisters.)
5. What were Gideon’s weapons when he fought the Midianites?
Answer: Trumpets, pitchers and lamps.
Gideon and the hundred men with him reached the edge of the camp at the beginning of the middle watch, just after they had changed the guard. They blew their trumpets and broke the jars that were in their hands. The three companies blew the trumpets and smashed the jars. Grasping the torches in their left hands and holding in their right hands the trumpets they were to blow, they shouted, “A sword for the Lord and for Gideon!” (Judges 7:19-20)